Thursday, October 14, 2004

Attestation Day

Date: 4th MAY 1971

Today I joined the RAF.

I had to go over to Leeds to swear allegiance to Queen and country at the Careers information office.
When I got there, I was directed to what looked like a doctors waiting room, plastic chairs and low tables with magazines on them. There were about ten other chaps waiting as well. After a while a Sergeant came and took our names and marked them off on a clipboard he was holding. He then said, " If any of you are having second thoughts about joining, now is the time to scarper. I promise you I won't chase you, but once you've signed up, I will." Nobody moved. He then asked us to follow him into another room about as big as a classroom. On the far wall was a board with the words to the oath of allegiance on it. Next to the board was a Sqn Leader. He welcomed us and told us that what we were about to do next was a very serious and binding part of the attestation process. We then had to put our right hand over our heart and recite the oath. " I promise to bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second....etc," I can't remember the rest. After that we had a lot of forms to sign. And that was it. I was AC Fred Fox Service no-A8793625. I was issued with a temporary ID card, £3 (to be docked of my first weeks wage) and a rail warrant to Newark. I have to be there for 1pm on Thursday.

That day will mark the first day of my career in the armed forces.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home