Sunday, September 19, 2004

A Brave Decision

Date: 17th FEB 1971.

I was reading the Daily Mirror when an advert caught my eye. "Join the R.A.F. plenty of trades to choose from." I read a bit more, about traveling the world, the excellent social life, all the sport I could get, the camaraderie and respect of my fellow colleagues.

I was hooked.

I'd always wanted to join the forces since my Uncle Peter had filled my head with what he'd got up to in the Army. I'd actually tried to join the Junior Leaders a couple of years ago, when I was 15 yrs old, but my Mum put a stop to that. I had to settle for the Army Cadets instead. I guess my Mum thought I was a bit too young.

But this is different. For a start I'm older now, nearly 17 and a half, the RAF isn't as dangerous as the Army. So I asked my Mum if I could join, and she said I could,that's if they'll have me.

So, that's where I've been today, down at the careers information office, talking to a Sergeant from the RAF. He told me all about working in the forces, and it sounded good to me, but he apologized to me about not being able to take the entrance exam, because an officer has to be present, when they are done. He's not in till next Tuesday so the Sgt booked me in then. He gave me the consent papers for my parents to sign and said he'd see me Tues.

When I got home I told my Mum and Dad what had happened and they signed the papers.

I can't wait till next Tuesday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home